Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mission accomplished.

I was unhappy with the media separator lid that RCBS supplies. A quick trip to walmart for office supplies, and...



Viola, quick and dirty media separator. And I even got to use the forstner bits and jig saw :)

The only problem it has is the static that the styrene carried from the factory. A good waxing and that should go away.

Being in the "build me!" mood, I then proceeeded to turn a solid #2 rubber stopper and a 1/4"-20 bolt into an expanding collet, chucked an aluminum Mountain Dew bottle into the drill press, and produced a cowbell.. er.. bell. All *it* needs now is a handle and/or clapper. if I had a lathe I could turn the base into a cup with a little metal spinning...

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there are holes in the bottom of the paint tray that we can't see to allow the tumbling media to slip down inside the bin? And you manually sift it? Or is it sitting on something that vibrates?

7:54 AM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

Ah, sorry, should have elaborated. That's an expanded-mesh paper tray. There are ridges across the bottom of it, all I have to do is waggle my fingers in it a couple times and all the brass has been flipped and media spilt.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see it now. I thought it was one of those plastic paint tray rollers with a bunch of holes drilled in it. Then I wondered if you had a teeny-tiny forstner bit to make the holes in the paint tray and a whole lot of spare time on your hands.

The pre-made expanded mesh is a great idea. I'd probably cobble something barely suitable out of a frame of rough scrap wood and a bit of hardware cloth. This is much nicer.

11:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home