Wednesday, July 25, 2007

A little bangity-bang

I finally got some shooting in... though in an unorthodox way. (note to readers: I don't identify customers, so if this is you, nothing personal).

I was at work#2 yesterday when two folks I hadn't seen in a long time came in and took a lane. Well, I'd offered one of them the use of the franken-Para, and she reminded me, and of course I complied. She went out with a box of 20 Hornady 200gr hollowpoints (1050fps), and had a blast with the hand cannon.

Well, I was piqued, and I hadn't shot the thing in months anyhoo, so I obtained something... different. Doubletap. 135gr, 1600fps muzzle. HOT. I've never heard a muzzle report like that, AND I chewed the center out of the target. Then I hung up a phone book and put five more through that, at about a 3" group with lots of confetti as a result. Paper dust was blowing out of the book like ashes every time it was moved...


In other news, I finally finished depriming those couple-thousand .38spl brass. I don't know the capacity, but they fill a quickrete 20lb bucket to the brim. Next step? Cleaning/polishing, and I'm not sure where I'll go on that. I think I may make my own tumbler... A piece of iron pipe, two pillow blocks, some 2x4 framing, a 5 gallon bucket, pulleys, and a motor :) If I leave it angled about 45 degrees I shouldn't even need a lid, but I will have to make sure it stays damp to avoid toxic dust. Could be useful for other things too...

Another side project I'll be getting into is rust removal... and that's a two step deal. First is "grand scale" er... scale removal, with an electrolytic tank. Simple enough, and I've got old computer power supplies coming out my ears. Second is figuring a means of point removal, and I'm thinking that a mixture of a fine point brush and a thickened phosphoric acid solution might do the trick.


Anonymous TD said...

I've run a little Double Tap through my G20 and G29, but the fired brass is downright scary. HUGE bulge in the feed ramp area and cratered/wiped primers. I wonder if the batch I got is a bit outside SAAMI specs...

3:28 PM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

I've got two examples of the brass from that run at home. Now, my chamber is (for all intents and purposes) fully supported, and as such there's no case swelling or unsightly bulges.

There is a hell of a pressure sign at the primer though, it's flattened and had flowed into the firing pin channel a bit.

I'm considering this the proof test, though I'll shoot more later :-D

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

some where on the web, (I just saw it last weekend)there was simple plans for a vibirating case cleaner. I try to find a link to it.

8:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, found the like for the homemade brass tumbler.

You know, I've got a commerial tumbler and I'm tempted to made one of these anyway. Ya think an ol' dryer motor to be to much for it?


9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't think the previuos posting made it. Here it is again


9:30 AM  
Blogger Don Gwinn said...

How hard is the electrolyte tank to make? I am intrigued. I hope if you build it, you remember to take pictures and write it up.

11:50 PM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

Electrolyte tank:

1 - 13 gallon rubbermaid tub from walmart
1 - piece of rebar
1 - car battery charger
1 - little bit of washing soda
1 - some amount of water

11:53 PM  
Anonymous llanok said...

I've built a couple of the do-it-yourself vibratumblers. I also replaced several motors before giving up on the idea. They worked great while they ran, but they wouldn't run for very long. The problem I had is that the free (or at least very cheap) AC motors that I was able to salvage either have bushings (which start to wear down in minutes with an unbalanced shaft) or weak bearings that couldn't take the stress of running with an unbalanced shaft.

When I reached the point of getting quotes from a local electrical supply house for a motor that would stand up to the abuse, and finding the quotes to be more than a new commercial vibratory tumbler from Midway, I gave up on the project. Maybe if I could have scrounged a better motor....

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home