Monday, October 01, 2007

So it begins...

I'll soon be entering a meager beginning for ammo manufacturing. What now?

I already have a press; I already have a couple thousand once-fired .38spl brass. I have powder and projectiles to start. What steps are happening right now?

- I just placed an order for a chrony F1.
- I have in my hot little hands instructions for making a vibratory tumbler
- I have an idea for making a batch powder drop machine

And now, once everything's together, I'll be laying the groundwork for logging and satistical batch checking while cranking out moderate 148gr HBWC .38spl loads.

What else will I be looking into shortly?

- what machinery is involved with hydraulically pressure forming brass or aluminum sheet into rimmed cups... aka rimfire brass
- electroplating kits for unusual finishes like polished tin or bronze, as well as the standard nickel and chrome
-electroplating silver, for projectiles and cases.

2 Comments:

Blogger Laughingdog said...

"what machinery is involved with hydraulically pressure forming brass or aluminum sheet into rimmed cups... aka rimfire brass"

I don't know anything about electroplating, so that may be plausible. But I can tell you that you should just give up on the idea of making rimfire ammo. Unless you create a true mass production company, you aren't going to be able to make that kind of ammo. Note that I didn't say "you can't make it affordably". You just can't make it.

If you spend a little time researching how it is made, you'll see that you'd need machinery that would allow you to spin the rimfire cartridges while putting in a small amount of primer, in liquid form, into the case. The centripetal force would then deposit the primer on the rim.

Think about how much equipment like that would cost, and then think about what the profit margin must be on 2 cent rounds of .22.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/4689185.html
This should give you an idea about how it's done.

1:05 PM  
Blogger Dr. StrangeGun said...

Whoops... I thought I'd explained the whole rimfire thing.

I'm not talking about $0.02 .22 rounds. I'm talking about $1-$4 .41 swiss rimfire, .25 stevens, .32RF, .50-70 rimfire, etc.

And spinning a cartridge in a pneumatically clamped three-jaw chuck while dribbling in a few CC of whatever doesn't involve much special equipment. Not *detonating* that whatever before it gets there is the challenge.

1:15 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home