Tuesday, October 14, 2008

A little more practice.

I finally got the time to take a pistol onto the range yesterday... two, in fact, since I was asked to function check one used PA63.

If I ever have one of those pistols, it's going to have the nickname "Sonofabitch". That little bastard *hurts*, messed me up for a bit with the gun I was intending to practice with :) Good news? The PA63 in question first shot two side by side about 1" up and 1/2" off right of bullseye, then a connected 3" long vertical string about an inch to the left and at the bullseye level, at 7 yards.

I also shot one handed, since that just works better for me with smaller guns.

And then, I stepped up with *my* practice, my Tanfoglio TZ75 compact and 50 of the GA Arms 115gr 9mm.

Results? All hits on target at 7 yards, but the first magazine I fought a wicked push so there were a scattering of 4-5 rounds down from bullseye up to 5" or so, and then I fought with the POA a little, and aiming an inch and a half up and left for the rest of the rounds obliterated the bullseye and most of the "10 ring", in quotes because I was using a cast-off sighting target.

Not bad. I know some do much better, but when I practice during work hours typically I'm taking the next shot as soon as I'm back on target, rapid-fire. That serves two purposes; one, I'm not killing too much time on the range when I could be on the floor, and two, I figure if I ever REALLY REALLY need to start shooting, a fast followup on target is a bit more useful than taking 10-15 seconds to put a bullet through the same hole as last time.

I do wonder why the TZ is so far off POA though, I'll have to bench it and/or have someone else try it and see if it's me or the sights. Could be the ammo too, a lot of Euro guns get regulated for 124gr. I tried to buy 124 when I was in Villa Rica, but they were out...

1 Comments:

Blogger Jonathan said...

f I ever have one of those pistols, it's going to have the nickname "Sonofabitch". That little bastard *hurts*

My True Love calls my P11 a Little Bastard for the same reason.

It blistered the knuckle of my thumb, so I thinking the name will stick.

7:13 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home