Friday, November 07, 2008

See, I'm useful after all.

Don't ever say I don't have mad skillz.





A while back I brushed past my little office filing cabinet and broke the key off in the lock. Now, that's not usually a big deal, it's a little sheetmetal thing I keep old papers in, but I like being able to lock it so I can pick it up and move it safely.

It just now got on my nerves enough to do something. So, I disassembled the lock so I could pop out the little stub of key left in it, and retired to the MAD SCIENTISTS LAIR (the basement).

Judicious use of propane torch and tin/silver solder, some delicate cutting and filing, viola... functioning key. It works too; I don't really trust it enough to use daily but it's good enough to have a copy made. heh, $5 key for a $20 filing cabinet... I might just keep using it. It's not exactly straight, since the metal stretched when I bent it over and snapped it, but like I said... it works now.

1 Comments:

Blogger phlegmfatale said...

That's really cool!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home